Have you already heard the benefits of eating almonds? Almonds are rich in many essential nutrients and contain an ample amount of protein and fiber. These nuts help in protecting you against detrimental diseases. They are easy to pack and carry around for school, for work, and for traveling as a healthy snack. Almonds can be eaten alone or as toppings for salads, cupcakes, smoothies, and other dishes. But how much almonds should you eat to reap the health benefits? What are those benefits? Does it help with weight loss? Are there any side effects? Let’s find out!
How Much Almonds Should You Eat to Reap the Health Benefits?
When eating a certain food in order to gain its beneficial effects on the body, it is important to know how much you should eat on a daily basis. This is to ensure that you are ingesting only enough amount for health purposes and avoid the onset of possible side effects. In the case of almonds, it is always smart to get the opinions of the expert on how much almonds to eat every day. Based on Almonds.com, the daily intake is one ounce or 23 pieces of almonds a day. Incorporating almonds into your diet is an easy way to add several vital nutrients that your body needs.
Nutsforlife, on the other hand, recommends eating 30 grams or 20 pieces of almond nuts a day which is enough to reap the health benefits that they could give.
What are the Benefits of Eating Almonds?
Eating almonds every day can give you many vital nutrients that will keep you healthy such as:
It is a potent antioxidant that improves the immune system and protects the body against heart disease, some cancers, and free radicals.
Research showed that fiber provides the following benefits:
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Promotes heart health
- Lowers risk of stroke
- Promotes weight loss
- Enhances skin health
- Reduces diverticulitis
- Decreases the risk of hemorrhoids
- Relieves Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Reduces the risk of gallstones and kidney stones
Eating almonds with potassium will get you the main benefits that include:
- Helps the muscles contract
- Regulates body fluids
- Reduces the risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease
- Releases the body’s nerve impulses
- Balances low levels of blood sugar
- Improves blood pressure levels
- The protein content of almonds promotes muscle building, bone health, lower risk of stroke, and weight loss.
Calcium has the ability to provide these health benefits:
- Protects cardiac muscles
- Prevents pre-menstrual depression
- Aids in controlling blood pressure
- Ensures healthy alkaline pH level
- Strengthens bones and prevents osteoporosis
- Helps maintain optimal body weight
- Reduces risk of kidney stones and colon cancer
Taking sufficient amount of magnesium needed by the body gains you the following:
- Ensures healthy pregnancy for women
- Prevents diabetes and heart attack
- Boosts energy production in the body
- Provides relief from stress and anxiety
- Helps in mineral absorption
- Gives relief from a migraine and constipation
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) stated that in every one ounce of almonds, there are 5.6g carbohydrates, 14.36g Fat, 6.03g protein, and 164 calories.
Does Almonds Help with Weight Loss?
A healthy weight loss has the important components of healthy fat, protein, and fiber – and almonds have them all. The healthy fat found in almonds will keep you feeling full the entire day. By reducing food cravings, you will be able to avoid overeating and gaining more weight. Almonds contain both monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats that help in reducing the “bad cholesterol” or LDL in the body.
What is the Best Time to Eat Almonds?
Almonds are ideal to eat in the morning and evening. Based on the Mapi website, almonds should be soaked overnight and the skins removed in the morning. Take 10 almonds in the morning and another 10 in the evening. They can also be mixed with dates and raisins to reduce the aggravation of Pitta in the blood. Almonds should not be eaten on an empty stomach but combined with other foods like grains, milk, and vegetables to avert imbalance of Pitta.
Are There Any Side Effects of Eating Too Many Almonds?
Almonds have many health and weight loss benefits if taken in sufficient amount. But if you eat more than what is recommended daily, you will experience the following side effects:
- Gain weight due to taking calories than the body requires.
- Possible drug interactions with a rich in manganese diet.
- Overdose in Vitamin E if you surpassed the maximum limit of 1000mg per day. You will experience diarrhea, stomach pain, dizziness, nausea, tiredness, headache, and blurred vision.
- Trigger crystallization due to excessive oxalates that are taken daily which can cause various health issues.
- People with gallbladder and kidney problems are advised not to eat almonds regardless of the amount.
Almonds are very beneficial to the overall health of the body due to its nutrient-rich quality. These nuts can help you in losing weight as well due to the presence of weight loss-inducing elements. However, these are not reason enough to eat more than what is recommended by the health experts. Eating more than what the body needs every day will expose you to the risks of incurring negative side effects.
Learning what is the right daily dosage of almonds that you should take will help you reap the utmost benefits that these nuts could give and help you avoid the inconvenience of side effects. It is also important to follow the most effective and safe ways of taking almonds for a healthier and fitter body. Almonds could help you lose extra weight and they’re easy to include in your daily diet as a healthy snack or in combination with other tasty and healthy foods. So if you are not eating the right amount of almonds a day yet, you should start now!